create your own ad serving network with openx

Run your very own google adwords style ad network by selling ad space on your websites… serve millions of page views a day using this bullet proof ad-serving software.

Here’s what I’m talking about:

For years I’ve been using a program called openx to serve ads on my network of sites… hundreds, even thousands of websites served by a free open source software call openx.org (actually, it has changed its name at least 4 times in the last few years).

And it has never ceased to amaze me… it truly is an enterprise class piece of software capable of serving billions of ad impressions per month without breaking a sweat… and it’s free.

Here are just a few of the way I use it to run my own online business… and how you can use to run yours:

Maximize your income by only showing the best performing affiliate ads (cj.com, linkshare,etc)  on your websites – openx tracks the number of clicks on each ad for you so you know exactly which ads you should keep showing… and which ones you should stop showing because nobody is clicking on them.

Quickly and easily track how much traffic your websites are getting from one central location – just look at how many page impressions your ads are getting on each of your websites and you’ve pretty much figured out which sites are getting the most traffic. Much easier than trying to analyze each one with google analytics.

Sell ad space on your websites to other people and control everything from one central location.

Sell text links on your websites and control it from one central location – build your own “google adwords” type network.

Test your most effective ads and text links by showing your test ads on your own network – track the clicks on the ads and you’ll easily know which ones are the most popular.

We even test our own affiliate program banner ads and text links with openx – whenever an affiliate produces a banner ad or a text link using our affiliate resource center our system actualy produces an opens tracking link for them… and then we get to sit back and see which of our affiliate banners or text links are getting the most clicks on our affiliate partner’s websites… that helps us design better ads for our affiliate program… better ads equal more sales for us and more sales for our affiliate partners.

Here’s a post with an audio recording that goes into more detail about how I use openx to make more money

I guess that’s enough “here’s what you can do with openx” so let’s get to the “here’s how you do it” part of this post…

My guys put together a very detailed process map for you… it shows you how to add new publishers and zones to your openx installation.

step-by-step openx process sheet

Enjoy!

Jeff Johnson

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

35 Responses to “create your own ad serving network with openx”

1. Increase Website Traffic 19. Aug, 2009 at 9:12 am #

Your blog is like an encyclopedia for those who want to know more about this. Thanks for the interesting information.

2. Glenn 03. Oct, 2009 at 8:27 pm #

This is truly great information Jeff. Thanks so much.

3. ignacio 10. Oct, 2009 at 2:04 pm #

HI Jeff. I’m not very tecnical ,but I understand much more when you explain how to install stuff
    in wordpress,can you explain how to intal openx in wordpress?
    Thank you.

Jeff Johnson: I don’t have a public tutorial on that, but all you need to do is insert the iframe tags in your WP theme. Trial and error should be fairly simple.

4. Website Traffic 09. Nov, 2009 at 8:51 am #

Wow!!! thank u very much for all this information. Keep on supplying such useful information. It really is interesting.

5. LN 02. Dec, 2009 at 2:59 am #

Can you use OpenX to create your own ad networks? Like what if I have my own advertisers for my blog, and I want to create an ad network for them with similar blogs?

Jeff Johnson: Most definitely. In fact, Microsoft just announced an ad distribution deal with the openx community because it’s such a powerful tool.

6. The Transilvanian 04. Jan, 2010 at 6:12 am #

Hello Jeff

Yes, Yes, Yes!
    I’ve been looking for a ad serving program for a while now, found some but could only display ads that were part of their affiliate network advertisers. Not bad, but I needed to show my own ads and affiliate ads of my choosing.
    I haven’t heard about openx until now so
    Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

7. Red 24. Mar, 2010 at 7:59 am #

Hai jeff… I wanted to know can I running openx like adsense?? Can other website as publisher signup??

Please tell me!
    Thanks before!

• Jeff Johnson 24. Mar, 2010 at 7:27 pm #

8. reusch goalkeeper glove 10. May, 2010 at 12:59 am #

Thanks Jeff for exposing openx tool to us. Nice job.

9. Eric 02. Nov, 2010 at 4:03 pm #

I have a couple of static sites and a few blogs all are on shared hosting accounts. Now that Openx offer the choice of hosted or self hosted I would be grateful for your thoughts as to the pros and cons of each. I’m mainly thinking about page load time and security or should I say anonymity. If I had a hundred blogs would your answer different?

Thanks for all your help.

• Jeff Johnson 02. Nov, 2010 at 5:49 pm #

Based on what you are asking letting them host may be the answer.

If you are worried about “it” my experience is to avoid it 🙂

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Crush your competition with banners that get you more clicks nd more traffic by Jeff Johnson | Qmini Internet Marketing News - 07. Jan, 2010

[…] He also discusses how to use FREE ad server OpenX for add rotation and CTR tracking. Also check out Jeff’s free tutorial on OpenX. […]