New FTC Guidelines For Bloggers Affiliate Marketers And Social Media Users

Ever wonder how the you can possibly comply with the new FTC “Endorsement” Guidelines when sending a “tweet” that is limited to 140 characters and still get your message across?

Or how you are supposed to comply with the new FTC Guidelines when doing something as simple as updating your facebook wall, or posting something to your blog?

It really comes down to this…

Ever since the new FTC Guidelines went into effect last December people have had thousands of questions but very few of them were ever answered.

Well guess what?

The FTC has been busy answering those very questions for you on their website.

Their newest June 2010 update address some very specific “ftc bloggers” or  “social media” questions that you may have.

So if you are looking for  answers to your FTC Guidelines questions about posting to your blog, your twitter account or any of your affiliate promotions

Here’s a page on the official FTC website that can help answer your questions:

FTC Guidelines

Enjoy!

Jeff Johnson

P.S.

If you are looking for an Internet Lawyer then you may want to talk to mine. I do NOT get paid for referrals but we are friends so he may buy beer the next time I see him 🙂

Tags: , , , , ,

36 Responses to “New FTC Guidelines For Bloggers Affiliate Marketers And Social Media Users”

1. Doug 08. Sep, 2010 at 3:12 pm #

Does this apply to all forms of endorsing and advertising?

Because shouldn’t there be a statement on every TV commercial stating that the person endorsing a product is being paid and most likely has never purchased and used the product and or service.

Take for example; Allstate commercials, does Dennis Haysbert (24 actor) actually use Allstate insurance? I don’t know but maybe they should tell me and if not what insurance does he use, maybe I would like to use that insurance.

Does Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs) really drive a Ford truck and wear Wrangler jeans? Maybe or Maybe not?

This should apply anytime an actor is used and is paid to promote a product on TV if i have to make that same statement on my web page.

Most likely that FTC stance would be that it is “implied” with an actor on a commercial….well then it should be “implied” when someone visits a my web page and I’m giving my “opinion” on a product that I think they should consider.

Anyways the FTC has imposed these guidelines with no intention to monitor or enforce them and no intention to impose any punitive action.

2. D.Offer 09. Sep, 2010 at 7:48 pm #

To me these FTC guidelines just promote good practice. Keep it clean and authentic and be honest, and you won’t have a problem.

3. Ryan 15. Sep, 2010 at 9:15 am #

The three-letter organizations are nothing more than the mafia protectors of their corporate cronies to the destruction of the environment. See BP and the EPA for a prime example.

All regulations are simply excuses to get rid of competition. They are selectively enforced against the small and weak and ignored against the strong and connected (i.e., Madoff)

4. Tyler Carty 19. Sep, 2010 at 2:10 am #

Thank you Jeff for the information! “I am working 16 hour days until I know that I am rich enough that I will never have to ever work again!”

You have been alot of help!! -Tyler

5. Michael 23. Sep, 2010 at 11:39 pm #

Jeff, I will checkout the FTC link but still feel like I will get more frustrated. It seems to me many folks are violating the rules everyday.

6. Canoe Plans Guy 30. Sep, 2010 at 1:00 am #

Thanks for keeping us informed on current issues Jeff.

BTW, here is a cool site that generates a compensation disclosure policy for your website:

Thought I’d pass it along.

7. Lani 30. Sep, 2010 at 1:47 am #

Aloha Jeff, appreciate the heads up on the FTC guide lines and a link. Thanks for sharing! Lani Kee 🙂

8. Instant Anxiety Cures 08. Oct, 2010 at 5:05 pm #

I typically have a “Disclosure” page on my sites stating that I have an afilliate relationship…

9. Wayne Lambert 06. Dec, 2010 at 6:17 pm #

Great guide to keeping the Feds off your back Jeff. This is the kind of stuff that can get in people’s way of taking action and making things happen. Glad to see you addressing that challenge by providing some clear and factual content.

10. A Tinnitus Miracle 06. May, 2011 at 7:45 pm #

It’s now a must to have some sort of disclosure page to keep from running afoul of the FTC. Fortunately, it’s pretty easy to do.