New FTC Guidelines For Bloggers Affiliate Marketers And Social Media Users

Ever wonder how the you can possibly comply with the new FTC “Endorsement” Guidelines when sending a “tweet” that is limited to 140 characters and still get your message across?

Or how you are supposed to comply with the new FTC Guidelines when doing something as simple as updating your facebook wall, or posting something to your blog?

It really comes down to this…

Ever since the new FTC Guidelines went into effect last December people have had thousands of questions but very few of them were ever answered.

Well guess what?

The FTC has been busy answering those very questions for you on their website.

Their newest June 2010 update address some very specific “ftc bloggers” or  “social media” questions that you may have.

So if you are looking for  answers to your FTC Guidelines questions about posting to your blog, your twitter account or any of your affiliate promotions

Here’s a page on the official FTC website that can help answer your questions:

FTC Guidelines

Enjoy!

Jeff Johnson

P.S.

If you are looking for an Internet Lawyer then you may want to talk to mine. I do NOT get paid for referrals but we are friends so he may buy beer the next time I see him 🙂

Tags: , , , , ,

36 Responses to “New FTC Guidelines For Bloggers Affiliate Marketers And Social Media Users”

1. DrewryNewsNetwork 02. Sep, 2010 at 5:01 am #

Everyday, I’m striving to stay within the guidelines, because there is too much money to be made online, and just trying to get a lil’ piece of the online pie! 🙂

2. Mike Calmot 02. Sep, 2010 at 5:34 am #

Hi Jeff

I put something on my blog and sign up emails ever since your last alert.
    If you get a minute, let me know what you think of the one on the blog (right hand corner) :).

I have also added something in as regards destination site testimonials (if you are acting as an affiliate) and a point about the prospect conducting their own due diligence as I recall this came up before. I’m no lawyer-do you have a view about that aspect?
    Best wishes
    Mike
    UK

• Jeff Johnson 02. Sep, 2010 at 9:11 am #

I’m glad you are taking steps toward compliance, but I really can’t get tied up giving “legal advice”… it’s just too sticky.

My job is to point you in the right direction 🙂

Bob Silber is my internet lawyer so he may be able to help.

3. Rika Susan - Weider Home Gym Girl 02. Sep, 2010 at 6:47 am #

Thanks Jeff. Good to have that FTC page to check out. I have been wondering about how the regulations affect social media posts.

4. Greg 02. Sep, 2010 at 9:45 am #

Thanks for the link to the ftc site Jeff. I haven’t heard too much about this lately so thanks for the update.

5. Shane Wilson 02. Sep, 2010 at 10:53 am #

I like all the ‘probably” statements they have listed to answers of certain questions. Can they not give us a clear cut answer?

Thanks for the post Jeff,
    Shane

6. Jo Leber 02. Sep, 2010 at 1:42 pm #

Great information! I know why your #1 Jeff Johnson..

As always JO

7. John Leary III 02. Sep, 2010 at 2:57 pm #

Aloha JJ,

Another big-time thank-you! I went to the FTC page and read for 20 minutes
    thanks to your post. Now I know where they stand and what I need to do…

Mahalo,

John

8. LK Nielsen 02. Sep, 2010 at 4:45 pm #

Sweet! Thanks Jeff, I just read the FTC website and it really clears things up for me. I will pass this on to my readers.

9. Debra Garrison 02. Sep, 2010 at 8:21 pm #

Thanks Jeff for the update. I bookmarked the page and will also refer my readers to it. I had already updated my email footer, but I think I may add some more disclaimer to it.

10. William 03. Sep, 2010 at 12:28 am #

I read part of the FTC disclosure. It seems pretty simple and fair that when you promote a product or service to let the reader or advertisee know that you will get a comission if you purchase this widget from my link.

Same with reviews. If you are promoting a product or service let them know that you stand to gain if they purchase the product or service through your link.

I know how many, feel it sucks all the way around. time to be more creative 🙂