New FTC Guidelines For Bloggers Affiliate Marketers And Social Media Users

Ever wonder how the you can possibly comply with the new FTC “Endorsement” Guidelines when sending a “tweet” that is limited to 140 characters and still get your message across?

Or how you are supposed to comply with the new FTC Guidelines when doing something as simple as updating your facebook wall, or posting something to your blog?

It really comes down to this…

Ever since the new FTC Guidelines went into effect last December people have had thousands of questions but very few of them were ever answered.

Well guess what?

The FTC has been busy answering those very questions for you on their website.

Their newest June 2010 update address some very specific “ftc bloggers” or  “social media” questions that you may have.

So if you are looking for  answers to your FTC Guidelines questions about posting to your blog, your twitter account or any of your affiliate promotions

Here’s a page on the official FTC website that can help answer your questions:

FTC Guidelines

Enjoy!

Jeff Johnson

P.S.

If you are looking for an Internet Lawyer then you may want to talk to mine. I do NOT get paid for referrals but we are friends so he may buy beer the next time I see him 🙂

Tags: , , , , ,

36 Responses to “New FTC Guidelines For Bloggers Affiliate Marketers And Social Media Users”

1. Graham Price 01. Sep, 2010 at 7:26 pm #

Hi Jeff and Thank You very much – I do wonder however what Your take is on International based (outside USA) marketer’s and posts ? Being from the U.K. and promoting to the USA I do have a vested interest 🙂

Kindest Regards,

Graham Price

• Jeff Johnson 01. Sep, 2010 at 9:07 pm #

The FTC guy said in an interview that if you are promoting in the U.S…. you need to follow U.S. regulations.

But I’m not a laywer so please consult with yours first 🙂

2. Trish 01. Sep, 2010 at 7:30 pm #

Thanks very much Jeff!

3. Mark 01. Sep, 2010 at 8:13 pm #

Dear Jeff
    Thank you VERY much for this advice. I have wondered why nobody ever
    addressed this issue. Thanks for educating me. This is why I keep you
    on my list. You inform ,and not only try to SELL something.
    Mark

4. Bob 01. Sep, 2010 at 8:27 pm #

This is great. Now if we could have a clearer explanation about SPAM and how it pertains to social media sites would be nice. i.e. friend relationships vs commercial relationships in respect to promoting a product or service. Can you send an email or any electronic message to one on your list no matter the product, simply because they are on your list? Or can you only if they have inquired about that specific market niche?

• Jeff Johnson 01. Sep, 2010 at 9:06 pm #

I have an opinion on that matter.. but I”m not a lawyer so I’ll keep it to myself 🙂

5. Jeff 01. Sep, 2010 at 8:56 pm #

Im surprised that you haven’t started promoting CPA instruments..

Usually you will fill your list’s inbox with offers and sales pitches, but this time, i’m surprised..

May be is it because its a very cheap product which is going to be less that $197 ??

lol.. Just kidding man.. I want you to launch your own product.. can’t wait till that..

• Jeff Johnson 01. Sep, 2010 at 9:11 pm #

I just haven’t had time to check it our for myself, and since I don’t know him that well, or his prior products… I Just had to sit this one out.

Traffic Voodoo 2.0: Unstoppable Traffic is my next launch.. and pre-launch starts on September 13th!

• Jeff 03. Sep, 2010 at 7:16 pm #

I can’t wait for Your launch.. I’m 100% in on Traffic Voodoo 2.0..

6. Turnkey Consulting 01. Sep, 2010 at 9:47 pm #

Good information. As more take to online marketing and social media or social networks, this will become a staple for credibility and validity. ONLY after the FTC begins to get “more social.” Most new online marketers don’t even know what the FTC is or if they do, not their stance. looking forward to the Voodoo

7. Bruce 01. Sep, 2010 at 10:30 pm #

This FTC b.s. is only because the government has become too big for it’s britches.

8. Widodo 01. Sep, 2010 at 11:39 pm #

Dear Jeff:

Thanks for educating us with this post. As a foreign national, I find this useful, at least if we have to comply with US regulations, we know what we have to do. I am a strong believer that we should be upfront and honest in our dealings.

9. Celeste 02. Sep, 2010 at 12:30 am #

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Jeff. This is great information. Although I think I’m in compliance, the FTC Q&A clarifies some points for me. I probably wouldn’t have stumbled upon this information on my own.

10. Dave Gardner 02. Sep, 2010 at 2:01 am #

Great Post Jeff,

As one who is starting to make affiliate commisions show up in my paypal account, I am exicted, but also weary of the fact that I do not want to be labeled as spamming! Almost take offense to it if someone thought I was trying to do that as well. The quick idea of being honest up front and staying away from sugar coating things is great, so people know exactly where you are coming from!

Thanks!