iPad and iPhone Friendly Video Marketing

The apple iPad and iPhone suck for video marketing… sort of.

The problem is that the ipad/touch/iphone do not play adobe flash based videos, yet flash based videos still dominate the internet video marketplace.

Even worse… according to the research in the video below….  it looks like in just a few short weeks the iPad has already become one of the most widely used mobile devices for watching online videos… the top two mobile devices used for watching online videos are the iPhone and the iPod Touch.

And according to the statistics in the video below…  it looks like iPad users have more money to spend than the typical internet user and they spend much more time watching videos than the average web user.

So if you want to make sure your video marketing message is seen by as many people as possible then you need to make sure your videos are ipad ready.

Sites like youtube.com, brightcove.com,sorenson 360, viddler, vimeo and flickr are just a few sites that will work with apple ipads, apple iphone and ipod touch mobile devices.

Update:

My friends have been using this new player for instant ipad and iphone compatible videos. We are switching our primary launch videos over to it as we speak.

Check it out:

iPad and iPhone Ready  Video Player

This video contains  a list of apple ipad,iphone and ipod touch friendly video shareing sites and video streaming services.

Sorry, we are in the process of updating this video so it is temporarily unavailable. Please check back soon.

Update:

Check it out:

iPad and iPhone Ready  Video Player

Tags: , , , , , ,

24 Responses to “iPad and iPhone Friendly Video Marketing”

1. Jeff Czyzewski 20. May, 2010 at 12:17 pm #

Google just announced the other day at their I/O conference they are working on a new video project that will use HTML 5.

It will it’s open source, not sure if it will take off or not.

Here’s a link to their site: http://www.webmproject.org/

2. Sean McAlister 20. May, 2010 at 12:20 pm #

Hey Jeff!

Great Video! It is pretty amazing that Steve wont integrate Adobe…..lol!

Thanks for taking the time to put together the video! It Rocks!

Sean McAlister

3. Sean McAlister 20. May, 2010 at 12:22 pm #

Great Video! It is pretty amazing the Steve won’t integrate Adobe….lol!

Thanks for taking the time to put the video together! Awesome stuff as usual!

All the best
    Sean McAlister

4. Jesse 20. May, 2010 at 12:24 pm #

Awesome.

I use my iPhone all day everyday, and everytime I get an email about a new marketing video from an Internet guru, I get pissed off when I click the link because the video won’t play on my iPhone.

Is there noway to get videos that work hosted on amazon aws or somewhere that doesn’t get my visitors sent to the YouTube website?

Thanks!

Jesse

• Jeff Johnson 20. May, 2010 at 9:07 pm #

Yes, you can offer a mp4 download for your visitors to access if they are using an ipad/iphone. Or you can use auto-sensing software that will serve up the proper format.

The problem is that people other than just ipad users will download your video and I’ve seen a terabyte of data access during a launch when offering a download alternative… not cool.

• C.J. 21. May, 2010 at 3:41 am #

“Or you can use auto-sensing software that will serve up the proper format.”

Jeff, what would this software be? What’s it called? I agree that tons of data access you’re stuck paying for when people just download rather than bothering to watch really sucks, and would rather at least look into this software alternative.

I’m tremendously glad that you’ve addressed this issue, as no one’s really been able to give me answers on this until now.

• Jeff Johnson 21. May, 2010 at 8:56 am #

I don’t know of any particular “off the shelf” software.

You could do it with a combination of html 5, video tags, h.264, php and javascript…. which pretty much means you’d need to hire a programmer.

There’s a lot more to it than that but I’m not a programmer so I’ll leave it to the experts 🙂

5. Jonathan 20. May, 2010 at 12:38 pm #

Glad that someone finally put a list like this together. I am tired of the blue lego piece on my iphone. Great content.

6. William Carter 20. May, 2010 at 12:44 pm #

Thank you for the video. Great information.. I didn’t know that the apple products were being used by so many people. It would really help a marketer to make sure their videos are in the right format, so they can get there message in front the most people. Again thank you for the great video and information.

7. Scott Mosteller 20. May, 2010 at 1:17 pm #

Thanks for sharing that awesome thought. I had not thought of making sure my videos were viewable on the i pod’s and I touch’s. My teenage son has an i touch and uses it all of the time.

You have the best information to help others with in their marketing.

Keep it coming.

Thanks for all that you do.
    Scott Mosteller

8. Gerson 20. May, 2010 at 1:53 pm #

Jeff, good posting thank you. Here are two articles with reasons for the iPad iPhone etc not using flash. If you want any mobile battery to last you want to process video at low power hardware level not software…
    Best
    Gerson

Steve Jobs slams Adobe Flash in open letter – and maybe kills it for mobile (updated)

Insecure, power-hungry, inappropriate for touch devices, never ready, outdated – there’s not really anything the Apple chief likes about Flash

==============================

Steve Jobs: Flash Video Would Make the iPad Battery Life 1.5 Hours

• Jeff Johnson 20. May, 2010 at 9:08 pm #

it’s a game of “he said, she said”. the point of the video was that I don’t care who’s right… I just wanted to make sure you guys were aware of the need to sever up flash alternatives… may the best format win 🙂

9. Gabriel Mercado 20. May, 2010 at 2:51 pm #

great info as always Jeff; I guess the apple devices will have their own category on the mobile market ( or should I said they already had)
    the big issue will be monetizing all this frenzy for those 3 toys from apple.
    of course beside the restaurants, clubs and ringtones and appl; the mobile market still having problem getting the big $$ off of it .

10. Jared 20. May, 2010 at 3:21 pm #

The reason Steve Jobs doesn’t allow flash on the iPod, iPad, etc. is explained in an open letter he wrote in April. Also tells you where he says video is going …