Apology From Jeff Plus New Aweber Tutorial

Here’s what NOT to do with Aweber’s Analytics and how you can learn from my mistake. Learn how to make your email marketing even more effective… and get an apology from me.  Check out this aweber video tutorial

Get Adobe Flash player

Tags: , , ,

43 Responses to “Apology From Jeff Plus New Aweber Tutorial”

1. Mohamed Hammad 05. Feb, 2010 at 7:29 pm #

Great tutorial to make me take care while dealing with Aweber, I can’t wait to see How you did 100K+ with affiliate marketing, as I had my share of success but not that far for sure 😀

Best Regards,
    Mohamed Hammad

2. Tom 05. Feb, 2010 at 7:42 pm #

Thanks for the great tips.

Doesn’t Aweber only register an email open if the 1×1 pixel in the email is shown, which by default won’t show or track the open in accounts like Gmail.

So are you not risking deleting good subscribers who may have just not had their opens tracked correctly?

Look forward to your reply
    Tom

• Jeff Johnson 05. Feb, 2010 at 7:48 pm #

That’s why I have them click a link in the email.. to make sure we register an open via the click. And that’s also why I sent out an email with a subject line to grab their attention “being removed from list”… to get them to open it and click. I haven’t ever just removed a nopen from my list without giving them multiple chance to respond in some way.

the lesson I learned is tha I need to make sure I state quite clearly… “this message may be a mistake and I apologize if you are seeing it in error… but your emails aren’t tracking so please click this link to be safe..” That’s not the exact copy I’d use, but you get the idea.

• Tom 05. Feb, 2010 at 7:52 pm #

Ok thanks Jeff.

Really appreciate you taking the time to record the video and for answering my questions instantly.

Have a great weekend 🙂

• Linda Corby 07. Feb, 2010 at 2:09 am #

Interesting strategy 🙂

3. Positive Mind 05. Feb, 2010 at 7:48 pm #

I read your posts in regular basis
    I have to admit When i had your mail of being removed from your list i was shocked
    I went fast to check and prove I am in
    How can stop being in contact with such an underground Man like Jeff Johnson
    Thanks Again
    Continue the good work
    Eslam Talaat

4. James 05. Feb, 2010 at 7:56 pm #

Yeah I opened it for a sense of fear of lost. So it might now be as accurate for other emails. Since I thought you just wanted get rid of my email.

5. Paul 05. Feb, 2010 at 7:57 pm #

Jeff, good stuff! Out of all the people I use as models, I like your style the best.

6. Kitty Jellinek 05. Feb, 2010 at 8:00 pm #

No need to apologize these things happen.

I am just amazed that an experienced marketer like yourself would pay for an autoresponder service.

Why wouldn’t you set up your own autoresponder script on your own hosting platform with 3 great advantages ?

1] Better delivery rate.
    2] Full control.
    3] No fees.

I give all my members their own scripts to use.
    Just curious why you would advocate paying monthly fees for such a service to your members?

Cheers,

Kitty.

• Jeff Johnson 05. Feb, 2010 at 8:07 pm #

Thanks for your support! As for the self-hosted email service… trust me, my friends and I have tried hosting our own, paying for hosting on the MAJOR services, etc. And everytime we’ve all agree that self-hosting is a bad idea when you are mailing hundreds of thousands, even millions, of emails a month… you need a full time staff to maintain your whitelisting in order to keep up deliverability. It’s cheaper to hire a good firm like aweber to do that for you.

7. stanley 05. Feb, 2010 at 8:09 pm #

Dude, I have the feeeling that you are a stunt master with that your error. I believe you were on research possibly to find out the percentage of trust your subscribers may have on you irrespective of whether they have bought-in to your program or not.
    However, if it were a genuine mistake then I am quite sure it led you to more discovery about your subscribers.
    Tell us the number subscibers that clicked your link to stop you from either deleting or suspending their email

• Jeff Johnson 05. Feb, 2010 at 8:30 pm #

It was a genuine mistake on my part. The response numbers don’t matter since they went out to my loyal readers, and I sent out an apology within the hour telling them they didn’t need to click. I’ll test it again soon to the RIGHT list segment.

8. Bob Marconi 05. Feb, 2010 at 9:00 pm #

Thanks for info!

Why doesn’t Aweber provide this for you? I think it’s wrong to be charging folks for some thing not being used.

• Jeff Johnson 06. Feb, 2010 at 11:24 am #

It’s actually a good idea to keep a record of unsubsribes, they just happen to charge you. No big deal, just use the trick I show you in the video.

9. David Jenyns 05. Feb, 2010 at 10:37 pm #

Thanks for the video Jeff.

I’ve never really 100% understood how Aweber can track open rates if you’re sending text emails (as opposed to html ones). As mentioned Aweber inserts a 1×1 pixel but surely that would only apply to html emails… I wonder how they’re doing it for text emails.

Anyway insight is always appreciated.

Cheers
    David Jenyns

10. Ronald Redito 05. Feb, 2010 at 11:20 pm #

Another good stuff from you Jeff. The “remove from list” email is a good attention grabber. It made me check your email and click your link. Of course, I don’t want to miss important updates from you.